All times are UTC

Post subject: My arts ;)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:57 pm 

Some of my arts ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:35 am 
iris2-developer

Looks good.

I think we need a titel menu screen ;-).

We should create a gfx repository for your new textures and other art like icons, symbols, banners (but we shouldn't use the svn for that).

Do you have an idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:44 am 
iris2-developer

i know the first one from vallejo ;)
http://maniera.wbp.zabrze.pl/foto/vallejo/andromed.jpg
nice paper effect though.

sience : why not svn ?
when there are multiple versions its perfect, and it handles binaries far better than cvs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:52 pm 

SiENcE wrote:

In game? No problem i can do this ;).

Quote:
We should create a gfx repository for your new textures and other art like icons, symbols, banners (but we shouldn't use the svn for that).

Do you have an idea?

It will be great but what is svn exactly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:36 pm 
iris2-developer

jokerwader wrote:
SiENcE wrote:

In game? No problem i can do this ;).

i would prefer textures for now,
we have a nice logo, and it would be legally problematic if you were to "reuse" art from others in a title screen as you did in the samples in this thread.

Quote:
It will be great but what is svn exactly?

svn (also known as subversion) is a "version management system", when you change a file and upload it with the same name on an ftp server, it OVERWRITES the previous "version", so you cannot go back unless you manually copy the old version somewhere.
this gets kind of messy over time.

when you upload ("commit") it into an svn repositiory instead of an ftp server, you don't need to make a backup as svn remembers all previous versions of all files ever committet, and you retrieve any version of the file by specifying a "revision number" assigned by svn or simple a date+time.

it also saves bandwidth compared to ftp because it only transfers the differences to the last version you downloaded when you do an "svn update" (equals ftp download)

when you "commit" (upload) you can also add a log message, and there are a few nice tools available so we can generate an rss feed for those log messages and a nice view of what files were changed.

we also use svn to manage our sourcecode, there it can also show the differences (short : diff) between files since they are textlike.
The newest version of the svn client for windows (http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/) also has a diff viewer for images i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:20 am 

ghoulsblade wrote:
i would prefer textures for now,
we have a nice logo, and it would be legally problematic if you were to "reuse" art from others in a title screen as you did in the samples in this thread.

I know that i can't put something illegall to Iris2. Like u wrote the picture in thread was only like a sample. If u want i can do something special, but have u got some vision or u seem on me.

Thanks now i know what is svn ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:45 pm 
iris2-developer

if you really wanna try to make a title screen, the iris logo should be the main element of it, there shouln't be other "objects" like characters or so in it, not even ingame character models (they are from the uo data so it might be problematic to use them)

a nice paper background like in the your first sample would be good, maybe torn out a bit or burned at the borders.

we could also render screenshots and other stuff onto it dynamically at runtime.
if it is kept clean and simple it can be used for the loading screen and the mainmenu.

maybe something like this
(the border would be black not white)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:48 pm 

Ok my concept is ready. Take a look on the wiki Art page ;).

Last edited by jokerwader on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:41 pm 
iris2-developer

hmm, sorry, but it doesn't really look good.
the border is of the paper is just blurred instead of torn out or burned, there are strange 1 pixel lines, the logo is cut off at the right top corner, the screenshot is way too big and blurring its borders doesn't look good, and also it would be hard to draw random screenshots there during runtime due to the blur effekt, we would need a hard border with some transparency there.

also the font for the "Iris 2" under the logo is too fancy, looks like "Jris", and it doesn't look like its written on the paper, ink writing doesn't have such clean borders on rough paper, and just blurring them will not help.

Making a good title menu is hard as it must be as flawless as possible because it is one of the first impressions someone gets when starting iris2.
So i think its better to have a simple clean black screen with just the iris logo than some fancy picture that has nothing to do with the project.
Also the main menu and connection dialogs are rather "simple" right now, and they'd look even worse on an artistic background than on a simple black screen.

anyway, we'll probably have a runtime "flying over the world" background while in the main menu, so it's probably not worth the effort to create such a title menu just for the loading screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:36 pm 

I think so too that it doesnt look good. Sometimes it's good to hear words of criticism cause i can be better then i am. Now i've got free time for two days so im going to do something better.

I want to create a few versions of the same picture on which we will write some tips in game.

Anyway i'm going to do some new textures in this lazy time.

Catch u later.

Last edited by jokerwader on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:44 pm 

New title menu.

Ofcourse if u dont like something in this art we can change it is only my concept.
Tommorow i will finish texture pack7 with red footpath and maybe roof.

Greets.