Iris2.de

Iris2-Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:01 am 

Hi guys,
I've been watching this project for several months now (was aware of Iris1 years ago), and I think there are great potential here as a third party Ultima project.

So I'm asking your permission to host iris files and post news about Iris2 on my UO server (http://www.uofans.com), it is an uo server in located China, and it has been in operation since July 1999. In doing this, I'm hoping to increase the awareness of Iris and UO in general in that particular geographical segment.

p.s. I have been posting brief comments on the site about this project and it has already created attention among the fans. However, in order to go further and host files and adding permanent links, I feel I need to ask for your permission first.

Regards,

PQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:25 am 
iris2-developer

Hey,

nice to hear comments from china about Iris2. I already watched at your website ;).

You can always host files (with License) of OpenSource products but you also have to host the SourceCode (or include it). Thats why we prefer, that Users get the latest builds from our Site.

I see your problem refering to the language.
I think, you can post news and build a special build of Iris for chinese people. But maybe you can contribute your modifications or bugs to us and we can add this to the current distribution.
Like a german metapher..."too many cooks spoil the broth".

Nevertheless you can get the source and build your own Iris2 distribution. If you need help please contact me.

ps: Since the last stable update you can display chinese fontset? If you need help please contact hagish.

best regards

SiENcE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:23 pm 

Hey,
I realize that it's open source and freely distributable, I just want to run this idea through you guys first.

Basically I'm not looking to fork Iris, at this stage I'm only interested in a promotional introduction so more people are aware of UO/third party projects. Due to the language barrier I think I should also provide limited support, but anything beyond that I would redirect them to here.

As far as Bugs go, I'll periodically collect them and file to your bug tracker. In fact I already have a bunch :)

So...to conclude, I'm not hoping to be a "cook", perhaps a "waiter" is more appropriate. Hopefully the increase in awareness, user base and of course, bug counts, will motivate you guys further. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:26 pm 

p.s., according to my tester, Chinese fonts do not show up as of yet.

There is one critical bug I think you guys should pay attention to now, Iris2 seems to be looking for files named "map1.mul, staidx1.mul, statics1.mul", in fact these files does not exist, since felucca has the same landscape as trammel. Not having these files crashes Iris when you try to goto facet 1.

I'll deal with the proper bugtracker filing later.

Regards,

PQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:13 pm 
iris2-developer

hi,

good to here,we share the same thoughts.

Please ask hagish for chinesefontset.You need to setup several things for it.

Since the last (6.0.0.0-6.0.1.1) OSi update forthe original Client, you have seperate maps for trammel and felucca. Try to update your client.
We need to include a check for people that don't have the latest updates. But we only support a fully patched client.

If you need help to build an chinese Installer contact me please over icq.

cu :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:22 am 

weird i cannot update to the latest client...for some reason.

I'll keep trying