hi @all.

we think about an Iris - Shard.

Why:
-testing purposes
-test out enhancements and new features
-to build a community that is closer to Iris
-to try something different

What:
I thought of an Siege Combat System. Something like Civiliation. The land is devided into several Territories. Players can join a Territory or create a new one.
Every Player gets some Ressources. With this ressources he can build a minimal house to store more ressources. After a short time the player is able to build a Tower or a Castle. The Player can recruit a small Army under his controll. He is also able to build cannons and rams.

Now, Player/Guild can declare a War against another Player/Guild. The declaration can include several different objectives (Conquest, conquer all Towers, Last Men Standing).

The Player/Guild who wins the War, gets the Territory or Castle from the Opponent (players and/or guild can declare a war against players or guilds).

The Player/Guild who loses the War get thier stored ressources (or a minimum if they don't have anything) , to quickly build a new Castle(s) and recurit a new Army.

Then...the War starts again. ;)

What you think about this Idea?

regards

SiENcE

Last edited by SiENcE on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:32 pm 

What server do you think ? Runuo, wolfpack, sphere, other ?

Who will be the staff ?

I think it's interesting and good for the dynamic of Iris :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:29 pm 
iris2-developer

Quote:
What server do you think ? Runuo, wolfpack, sphere, other ?

Wolfpack, Pol or RunUO2_svn. It depence what system fits our needs.

-Only a small map is needed.
-Only some keyfeatures like castle building, destroying and cannons should work for the first publish.
-The whole system should be developed over time.
-Equipment and Items are not important for the first time
-What counts, is fun building Castles/Towers and and doing Siege Combat.

Quote:
Who will be the staff ?

Only a small team. 3-4 people. One Mapmaker. One Static Builder. One Servercoder. One Iris2 developer.

Open Positions:
-Mapmaker
-Static Builder
-Servercoder

Open Questions:
-Should be Iris2 stripped down to get rid of a original UO installation (if so, we need a min. of new Gump & 2D Art)
-Should be everything deactivated, that is not needed for Siege Combat or building?

Quote:
I think it's interesting and good for the dynamic of Iris

True.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:08 pm 
iris2-developer

If we take RunUO2, i would suggest to take the following custom scripts:

-XMLSpawner2 - as standard spawner (also req. for XMLSiege)
-XMLSiege2 - damageable structures by siege weapons
-Alambik's Army - recruit and command an NPC Army
-Full Spellbooks - just for fast play
-PerformerBeta9 - to define NPC interactions
-To_Static - to static dynamics and publish them to all clients
-Brick - for fun Buildings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:26 am 
Power User

Very nice idea! It will be like a dream realized.

About server to use in this shard, is a thing that i don't know much things but... I like the idea to use wolfpack server because it can accelerate wolfpack development. A good thing that i listen on wolfpack forum(or IRC channel, i don't remember) was that it save world very quickly.

Good bye! :D

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:07 am 
iris2-developer

I don't know muc about Wolfpack and even Python.

Do you have any exp. with Wolfpack. Esp. Customization, Gumps, custom Map, Items etc. ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:04 pm 
Power User

Sorry I don't have much exp with wolfpack. :( I will see if anybody are looking to help with this shard at wolfpack forum.

Bye

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:46 am 
iris2-developer

i think we take runuo2. only because there are exists so much custom modifications.

but i will give all emus a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:27 pm 

Quote:
-Should be Iris2 stripped down to get rid of a original UO installation (if so, we need a min. of new Gump & 2D Art) ?

I think that this is the first step in making Iris (with wathever server you want, but preferably an open-source one)a real open-source MMO instead of just "another UO client".

I think that if they realised that we got the best MMO developement platform (in terms of flexibility and stability), a lot of people where willing to help you.

The day when a download link will be provided with a complete dev kit (server+client+map tool), we will see some nice projects.

So the answer is yes. I think you need a "showcase", a demo of what can be done using Iris and RunUO, but this should be standalone to have credibility.

So to the question :
Quote:
-Should be everything deactivated, that is not needed for Siege Combat or building?

I would answer that yes : the less it looks like UO, the more you will get this credibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:02 am 
iris2-developer

Gautman wrote:
I think that this is the first step in making Iris (with wathever server you want, but preferably an open-source one)a real open-source MMO instead of just "another UO client".

I'd have placed the "just another" on the other part,
there are far more open-source mmo games than uo clients.

Gautman wrote:
I think that if they realised that we got the best MMO developement platform (in terms of flexibility and stability), a lot of people where willing to help you.

The UO servers as well as the fundamental way of organizing data in UO are not suited for anything but near bird-perspective due to missing object hierarchies, so while it is a good platform for games with bird-perspective, it is not suited for MMO mainstream players, who expect to be able to see mighty walls and mountains in the distance.

While the architecture of iris would be a good basis to create a project that is not limited to birds-perspective, there are several other problems with the "standalone mmo-game approach" :

a) a whole new server and network protocol would have to be created.

b) you'd need a lot of artists to model, texturize and animate at least a minimal set of clothing parts, don't expect animating a naked human model would be enough to get started, that is the simple parts, all the clothes are the tricky thing.

c) you'd need a server-computer capable of running such a game, if you really mean massive multiplayer in terms of more than 100 player, you'll probably need a whole server cluster.

d) you'd need staff to keep the game world running, organize events, make quests, kick cheaters, botusers, flamers, ...

e) everyone and their grandma is working on an mmorpg, so you won't find contributors, be ready to do everything yourself.

iris has devs, but we lack artists, if things continue as they have there is no realistic chance to replace the original character models, so we should focus elsewhere, e.g. on static models, high-res textures and shaders.

i think a demo server that shows what can be done with iris is good, but the aim of the iris2 project is to create an opensource 3d client for uo, not to create a mmorpg, please don't try to change that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:07 am 
iris2-developer

ghoulsblade wrote:
iris has devs, but we lack artists, if things continue as they have there is no realistic chance to replace the original character models, so we should focus elsewhere, e.g. on static models, high-res textures and shaders.

thats true. i talked with Varan a bit, and he said, why not taking the unused UOME graphics for this small Client project. All UOME graphics are under the a Creative Commons-Lizenz ( http://uome.uodev.de/ ).

There are a lot of Gumps and 2D Art that can be used. Also we don't want to make a Big Freeshard or another MMORPG. Just a small little PVP Game with nice features and long, funny Gameplay.

Also we use only static Art that we already have as 3D-Model.

Groundtextures are already exchanged with our Terrainshader. There is also a Fallback for non Shader Graphiccards.

The only problem are 3D Monsters, Animals and Characters + Equipment. Therefore we need the UO Grannys. If we limit the used Models + Animations, we can reduce the Work for our own custom Character Models ( i talk about 1 Character Model, some Equipment and 2-5 Monsters).

ghoulsblade wrote:
i think a demo server that shows what can be done with iris is good, but the aim of the iris2 project is to create an opensource 3d client for uo, not to create a mmorpg, please don't try to change that.

Ghouly is right. Our aim was and is to create a nice looking Client (2D/3D) for Freeshards.

Our so called Iris - Online Server project should show the UO Scene the possibilities of an Open Source Client and a way out of the player drifting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:33 am 
iris2-developer

Update: I wrote a small Design Document in our Wiki:

http://www.iris2.de/index.php/Iris_Online

I need more Input :-), so think about it and write your comments here. Also take a look at the open positions.

thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:00 am 

If you kept the combat mechanics the same as pre UO:R UO besides the castle system this would be the best test shard ever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:36 pm 
iris2-developer

i try to disable the whole AOS additions in runuo 1.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:31 pm 

I just decided to switch to Wolfpack for myself, and I am glancing at IRIS all the time. Maybe if transition is done, I can help out on that front...

However, I dont expect complete results until next year this time.