Iris2.de

Iris2-Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:44 pm 

Hi there!

I'm looking for a game to play together with my girlfriend (before you're starting to joke: we also play other games too :p,).

We have a well equiped workstation and a Laptop to play on and thought, we may use Iris2 to play on the welt-pergon.de freeshard. 3d-client for the big workstation, 2d for the notebook.

Now I wanted to ask, if someone has experience with the Pergon-World & IRIS? Are there any issues to note? And what about the 2d-IRIS Client, is it running well on not-so-high-end powered notebooks?

A general IRIS question - we only need the installation because of the DLLs for the communication with the server correct? That's why the trial-version should be enough. We don't need the installation for the media (textures, sounds etc.)?

Thanks for your awesome looking work & best regards
tr0nix

Edit: Especially this sentence is confusing me:
"A legal copy of UO is required, but trial versions can be downloaded for free, and do not limit playing on freeshards"
So do I need to EBay-me the original version first?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:12 pm 
iris2-developer

hi =)

sorry, the 2d part of iris isn't working anymore, the 2d renderer was developed by varan as closed source plugin by varan at the beginning, he recently decided to opensource it, but sadly his laptop was stolen and no copy of the sourcecode left. He started writing a lua decompiler to retrieve the code from the compiled lua files, but it isn't finished yet.

haven't tried Pergon-World yet =)

about dlls and data : it's vice versa, you don't need dlls for networking (wouldn't work on linux anyway), but you do need the data files from the original client. Iris loads map data and art from the original client, and you need the 3d character models from the UO:MondainsLegacy installation as well.
Iris only comes with custom art for static objects, like walls, trees, furniture etc, and some terrain textures, most of the other things are loaded from the original game data.
We are only a small team of a few people, mostly programmers rather than artists, so we don't have the manpower to produce all the amount of art needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:24 pm 

What a mess :(. So I may try the 3d Client on my notebook but I suppose it's going to be pretty slow.. I don't own the original game yet and my prefered game-store unfortunately doesn't ship it anymore. I hope I can find a legal way to get it anyway.

So it is possible, that a freeshard needs the art of a ultima add-on? And if I can't find the original Ultima, can I buy an add-on without owning the original game?

I'm going to put those informations in the wiki as soon as I got it running :).

P.S. I understand that your focus is on programming :), there's enough to do without taking care about the arts :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:14 pm 
iris2-developer

you can download a mondains legacy trial containing all the data you need, there are several links to it on our mainpage : http://www.iris2.de/

as far as i know, the limitations with the "trial" only apply to playing on the original servers, so you should be able to play with the trial version unhindered on freeshards.

one problem is when the freeshard adds lots of custom art for the 2d client, then there will not be 3d models for it, so it will look ugly in iris. There are quite a few shards that use the original data mostly though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:32 pm 
Power User

To further elaborate:

The UO "Trial" that EA provides is *EXACTLY* the same as the store-bought CD. The "Trial" is just that you do not have a 6 month/1 year account on EA's OSI servers, you only have I think 30 days.

Otherwise, in all ways, UO "Trial" Download is the same as the UO CD.