Iris2.de

Iris2-Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:12 pm 
Power User

These aren't really bugs, per se, and some may have been covered already. This is just me rambling (as I'm sure you've seen me do on those rare occasions I post ;->)

Some things I've noticed:

Iris reports as 6.0.9.2 I believe, so is it safe to say that the 7.x packet updates are not in?

The Z scale of world objects looks, and has always looked, wrong to me. Is it possible to "stretch" the Z of objects (walls, trees, mountains, etc) to 1.5x the current via code/scripts, or would everything have to be re-modelled?

The Bloom affect is wonderful.... Except when looking at the sky, near a large body of water (which relects said sky), or in a "bright" town (Trinsic comes to mind). Then it becomes quite "nuclear" in appearance ;-> An HDR method might be able to compensate for the brightness in those areas. (Though to be honest, unless it's handled in hardware, that could be slow)

I think I read somewhere that the First Person control scheme was going to be redone. This is basically a must, I think ;-> I'm almost certain I read about a Behind The Back 3rd Person, which would also be useful.

I'm sure there's other stuff, I just can't think of any at this point :-P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:40 pm 
iris2-developer

v7 : we don't have a server that requires v7.* as minimum for testing yet, but afaik vetus-mundus wants to make v7 as minimum soon, then we'll adjust accordingly =)

zscale : wall-parts are models currently, so if we scale up, there'll be either gaps or overlap/flickering.
There are some plans to make them dynamically generated (and hence scalable without remoddelling) to avoid remodelling when adding normalmaps etc, but hard to tell when.
Sadly the wikipage with notes on that was lost in the raid crash =(
Scaling the character models might also be an option, there's a good chance that we messed something up there.

bloom : yep, it's a simple shader taken directly from one of the ogre examples. There are probably even better variants around somewhere. I have a rough understanding of HDR in theory, but haven't actively used it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:38 pm 
Power User

The reason I mention the scaling is that, even back in Iris 1, characters (Monsters/Animals scale were screwed up even in UO3D, so not your fault there :-P) always seemed too tall for buildings, AND the walls of buildings always seemed short even in relation to the X and Y scale (IE: eveything looks flat)

As for 7.x, I can test on Demise, since it requires 7.x ;->

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:04 pm 
iris2-developer

i think the only real possibility is to resize the characters, monsters and animals.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:35 pm 
iris2-developer

sience : it's not just about size, it's rather about ratio xz vs height. the walls should be higher but not broader. Squishing the characters would just make them look fat, but wouldn't solve the problem.
Only models that connect to other things are problematic, but i think that should all be walls.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:15 pm 
Power User

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The X/Y on buildings (IE: Walls) is fine, the Z is off. Just guessing, it LOOKS to be off by .5-1.0 scale. In other words, the Z needs to be increased to 1.5-2.0 times what it is now. Obviously, it may need to be more or less, it's just a guess based off what I'm seeing now.

As for model rescaling for players/animals/monsters, like I said earlier, even in OSI's 3D client alot of those were off (Eagles as big as grizzly bears?), but that can probably be changed easier than the walls and such.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:25 pm 
iris2-developer

But then there is no real solution. Redo all gfx at the sizes we want ;-)? We don't have any artist. We never had. Most (90%) of the 3d gfx is taken from Iris 1. So i think it useless to talk about such a huge workload.
We better get on in removing bugs and improving gameplay.
When you look from 3rd person view and not 1st person I see no problem all in all. Iris2 is not meant to be played 1st person.

@ghouly:I think regenerating "normal" walls is an sollution to reduce the count of meshes. But not ratio xz vs height problem.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:57 pm 
Power User

No no, bugs always take precidence.

And I wasn't referring to 1st person when I mentioned the "squatness" of Iris. As I said, it's been an issue since Iris 1 (Which explains why, since as you said, the artwork came FROM Iris 1). That was why I'd asked if it was possible to scale the walls up to 1.5/2.0 times their current size via the engine or not. Re-doing all the walls from scratch would be a pain :-P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:19 pm 
iris2-developer

Not all models would need to be adjusted, only walls.
The xy:z ratio of the others is correct as far as i know. (e.g. ore cart doesn't look squished, only the walls itself do)
And maybe scaling all the roof tile z-wise.
Also no modelling would be needed, we can just scale the rooftiles and the walls with the commandline tools if we have a list of their modelids. Or even generated new wall models by script with better texturecoords, which is something i wanted to do anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:37 pm 
iris2-developer

if we resize the walls, i think we also have to resize all other tiles which people use for housebuilding. this can be problematic, because of player build houses. All in all it will be much work.

Quote:
Not all models would need to be adjusted, only walls.
The xy:z ratio of the others is correct as far as i know. (e.g. ore cart doesn't look squished, only the walls itself do)
Also no modelling would be needed, we can just scale the rooftiles and the walls with the commandline tools if we have a list of their modelids. Or even generated new wall models by script with better texturecoords, which is something i wanted to do anyway.

If you scale you have to redo the textures. You also have to scale Doors aso.

i mean thins:

or esp. this tiles:

You can scale them, but not generate them new.