Iris2.de

Iris2-Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Progress of Iris 2?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:02 am 

I've been gone for a long time and I was just wondering what's the progress of Iris 2 right now is anyone still working on it? Are there other developers being recruited to do the interface and graphics? I've been playing Earth Eternal lately which uses the ogre engine and it just makes me think what potential that Iris 2 has I wish that UO could be remade to have the kind of graphics and interface that Earth Eternal has I wish Ultima could be brought back. EA made me mad they made kingdom reborn did the graphics then released this "Enhanced" client that is bs because it completely ditched the new prettier graphics wtf? Why did they even waste our time making us think they would make UO better. :( Anyways I would love to hear from you guys I appreciate everything you guys have done on this project.

Post subject: Re: Progress of Iris 2?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:19 am 
iris2-developer

Iris development is currently on halt, and it is unclear when and if it is going to continue.
We still check the forums every now and then to see if anyone wants to take up the project or encounters things that are easy to fix.
Community contributions have been virtually zero in the last few months/years, so i doubt it, but you never know.
We still continue to develop the lugre framework/lib used in iris in other projects, and i'm planning to clean up iris codebase a bit at some point, but not sure when that'll be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:53 am 

That's too bad you know UO is still the best MMO in my book and EA screwed up and just hasn't done their part to recreate it in a 3d environment like they should. Iris 2 was my hope. I've been playing Earth Eternal lately and it uses the ogre engine and it just blows me away of how UO could look and feel if their were some more devs willing to help with this project. I'm going to start college to get a degree in Computer Science maybe one day I will be able to come and help but I wish there were others. :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:27 pm 
iris2-developer

if you want you could ask around in uo community forums (runuo, uodev.de, uogateway...) or hobby-gamedev sites (gamedev.net) to try and find people willing to take over and continue. We never did much community stuff and focused on programming instead.
I'd be happy to explain the basics and how stuff works to people who want to continue, if there are such people.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:53 pm 

I posted at the places listed below so far. I told them to post in this thread so hopefully someone wants to take up the project!

http://abcuo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10739
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/99899- ... post654220
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66082
http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/ ... s2.485558/
http://www.eartheternal.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=8&t=713

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am 
iris2-developer

Thanks =) Lets see if there's still enough interest for uo/iris out there to get people involved rather than just consuming.
Just a note for people newly registring on the forums :
Your first post(s) won't show up until approved by a moderator,
sorry for the inconvenience, but it has proven to be a very effective anti-spam measure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:58 am 

Well only the ABCUO forums have had any feed back.

You know I've been messing around with iris and I think the biggest things that hold me back from using it are the controls and lack of gui elements like a working hotbar. I tried setting up some macros but they didn't work quite the way I wanted I was hoping that I could have it select the nearest enemy and then use another macro to cast a spell and have it use the spell on the already selected enemy that's how it seems to work in most newer games once the enemy is selected the spell is auto casted on it. Instead it would select an enemy I would cast a spell only I would have to manually click the enemy instead of it just casting it on the already selected enemy. :( Honestly I think that if I auto select or manually select an enemy then it should cast it on that instead of having to manually select it. Is there a way to fix this in the macros?

Also I was looking for a hotbar in the forums and there was a post that said ctrl+b brings up a hotbar but that didn't work and when I went to the specified folder the hotbar wasn't there :(

Is there a way to change the camera control instead of having it be the middle mouse button to be the left mouse button when you hold is down? I'll probably look around in the config files and see what I can do by my self but it's always helpful if someone already knows how to do it. EDIT: Well I found the gInput_CamMouseButton = GetNamedKey("mouse1") in config_declarations.lua I'm pretty sure I'm suppose to some how add it to a config file in my user folder but I couldn't find out how to do that so I just modded it directly so that seems to work. Also when you use arrow keys to run instead of turning naturally it wants to just chance the camera or something.

I guess maybe to understand what I'm looking for when it comes to interfaces and controls Earth Eternal and Lineage II are great examples both have awesome camera and hotbars.

Anyways sorry to bother you with this hopefully we get some new devs to help revive this amazing project it's come so far since I've been around I don't want it to end and be something no one will ever use when it has so much potential to be amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:43 am 
iris2-developer

Try setting a key for smartlasttarget or something like that.
We rebuilt the way uo works rather than trying to change the way it works to what new games usually do.
It could be tried with tricks, but without also changing some things on the server, that would lead to errors,
like if you quickly cast attack spell on enemy and heal spell on yourself, with a "trick" to make it behave like modern games it might sometimes go wrong and heal the enemy while casting the attack spell on yourself.

Hotbar: Not yet implemented as far as i know (and i think i would know;)), i just remember a thread about making one discussing how it should look, please give a link to the thread mentioning ctrl-b ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:00 am 

Yeah we wouldn't want that maybe just make a timer between targeting and casting a spell or healing that won't allow you to accidentally heal an enemy or something idk lol I'm sure there is a possible way to make it work out. Anyways here is the hotbar thread viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1149&p=5716&hilit=hotbar#p5716

I just had a brilliant Idea for where to post a thread to get devs reddit :) But I have no idea what section to put it under http://www.reddit.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:15 pm 
iris2-developer

no devs so far, just tons and tons of spambots.
if you're someone new trying to post in this forum, be sure to choose a sensible title, not just "hello" or generic stuff like that since that's what spambots do,
and we often disapprove a post by title alone without even reading the contents =)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:27 am 

This is sad that nothing is happening with this :( I wish I could code!