Iris2.de

Iris2-Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Linux Redist Packages
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:44 pm 

Firstly, I have to say Iris 2 is a great project! It has a lot of potentials, so please keep the good work up!

Now, I have a little request as well. Building the source on Linux is kind of time consuming and hard to do for normal users. Why don't you guys look into building redistribution packages on Linux?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:20 pm 
iris2-developer

thanks =)

we would like to, but there are a few problems with that,

firstly we use the newest ogre version out there, eihort 1.4.0 stable, its pretty fresh, and there is not debian package for it yet, i don't know about the situation in other package systems but it'll probably take a while there too.

secondly, none of us has experience with building and maintaining packages, and since we have all sorts of development libs installed that users won't need, it would be bad to build a package that only works on our systems.

so if you have experience with building packages or know someone who is and would be willing to maintain the package on when there are major updates, help would really be appreciated =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:33 pm 

Hi,
can you try compile all the required files as libs and link to them at run time?

redistributing on linux should be as easy as it is on windows, if not easier

Regards,

PQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:07 pm 
iris2-developer

we use automake and autoconf for project solution under linux,
there is configure.ac with some dependency checks that produces the ./configure script when ./bootstrap is executed, and there is src/Makefile.am where there's a list of source files and compiler + linker flags, some of which come from stuff declared in configure.ac

a binary package would be best i think, but what do i do with the dependency on the newest ogre version for which there is no package available yet ?

but i have no idea what options (and where) to set to disable compiler specific optimisations and to tell it to link dynamically, it probably uses the .so files from ogre automatically. another problem is that i cannot really test if the dependencies in the package are correct sience i have development environments for ogre already installed on both of my linux boxes.

also i would rather be working on the code than fiddling around with packaging, since people using linux tend to be able to compile stuff when the makefile is right, i mean isn't that the purpose of autoconf and automake ?
installing the depencies listed in the readme and doing
./bootstrap && ./configure && make isn't that hard.

so unless someone experienced volunteers to maintain a binary package i think chances are slim that there will be one available anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:23 pm 

Seems reasonable.

I was just worried that the long list of dependencies turns people away. But I guess it is still in the alpha stage.

Hopefully in the long term Iris2 will be distributed in binary packages. Perhaps I could help when I get enough free time on my hands :)