Iris2.de

Iris2-Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:38 pm 

Hello everyone, this is my first post, but I have been watching this project from its very early stages. I am freakin' thrilled at how far it has come.

I am a 2d/3d artist, and I have worked on several small UO servers in my life. I have gone through the pain of creating 3d animated monsters, and saving out frames of 2d animation for the 2d client... however I have never been able to create anything in true 3d because of the Granny format.

I don't wish to replace any of the current models, but I would like to make new monsters, decorations, and items.

Does anyone have any tips? pointers? I am not much of a coder, but I have done some, as well as scripting for RunUO, UOX, and SphereServer.

If I can find out how to get my 3d monsters into UO-Iris, either for me or for the public, I would finally have a reason to step away from World of Warcraft and spend more time on portfolio work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:19 pm 
iris2-developer

hi and welcome to our forums =)

since we're using ogre3d we're not limited to granny models, ogre itself also has a model format.

you'll find exporters for blender,3dsmax,Maya and a few others here :
http://www.ogre3d.org/index.php?option= ... Itemid=133

if you are working with blender, i made an enhanced version of that modeller with a nice feature that might also be worth a look :
http://sfz.schattenkind.net/wiki/index. ... romBlender

we haven't coded an easy way to specify which ogre meshes to use yet, but if you are interested in using this, i think i can squeeze it in in the next few days.

things to consider :
iris is only a client, so to add a NEW monster, you'll have to add it on the server as well.
However, you CAN replace existing monsters without modifying the server.

Humans and their clothing will be tricky as they consist of many individual parts (which have to be animated seperately), but monsters and pets consist of a single big model and should be ok.

You'll need to animate the mesh as well, the ogre mesh format supports skeletal animation.
you can find a list of animations in the ultima_online_dir/Models/*.lst files.
It might be a bit different than the 2d animations, and probably not all the anims are needed for all models, but idle,walk,run,attack,die will be good to have for most.

Avoid using/modifying the meshes and textures from uo, since they are under copyright,
so you're better off making your own,
i've collected a few links where you can find textures etc under usable licenses here :
http://ghoulsblade.schattenkind.net/wik ... ee_content
(especially the texture section... be sure to check the exact licenses, some of them have restrictions like you have to give credit to the author)

I would like to encourage you to release your models under a free license, for example

GPL (if someone makes derivates of your models, he has to release the "sourcecode" of the changed version, (e.g. the mesh instead of just renderings) under the same license, we also release iris itself under that license)

or

cc-by-sa
("creative commons attribution share-alike", people can use it if they credit you as the original author and share derivates under the same license)

this way, if you make versions of existing monster that look better than the original granny files, we could redistribute your models with iris, and give you credit for them, and who knows what other games they might end up in this way if they're good, might be rather useful for your portfolio =)

edit : just re-read your post and saw that you are interested in making static-items etc as well, our current models for them are already in the ogre.mesh format, so you can just replace them without any code modification, IF you can find out the item id somehow (since you've been doing modding for shards before i assume you already know how, if not just ask ).
they are in folders like this : data/models/models/to_014000/mdl_013580.mesh

i think there's also a nicer way to override them, maybe just placing the new ones in data/custom/models/to_014000/ and similar does the trick already, but i'm not quite sure if this is fully working yet, so you best just try and if it doesn't work you replace the existing files or so.

hope that helps, looking forward to hear from you =)
(please tell me if you're interested in using that monster-model-override for ogre.mesh-file-format, then i'll try to implement it in the next few days)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:43 am 

I am definately interested in the override, it'll make things a lot easier. I'm not sure how soon I'll get started on making whatever monster I decide to, but when I do I'll most likely post to let everyone know.

I was browsing through my old files, and found the frames of 2d art I made off the last model. Third Dawn had sound effects for a mushroom creature, so on my old shard I had those as well as a posion effect when fighting this guy.

He dropped some regeants and items used for a weird brewing system my brother was working on.

Did have the start of an armored Ostard... but not sure where that stuff went.

Oh well, thats all for now, thanks again for the quick response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:45 am 
iris2-developer

look cool =) ok, then i'll start working on that override some time soon, i'll post here when it's done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:02 am 
iris2-developer

Hi.

Quote:
edit : just re-read your post and saw that you are interested in making static-items etc as well, our current models for them are already in the ogre.mesh format, so you can just replace them without any code modification, IF you can find out the item id somehow (since you've been doing modding for shards before i assume you already know how, if not just ask ).
they are in folders like this : data/models/models/to_014000/mdl_013580.mesh

i think there's also a nicer way to override them, maybe just placing the new ones in data/custom/models/to_014000/ and similar does the trick already, but i'm not quite sure if this is fully working yet, so you best just try and if it doesn't work you replace the existing files or so.

Overriding art-items works quite well. Just place the model in our custom models directory in the same way, as the original file. You have to choose the same filename, with the file you want to override. But keep attention how do you name the Material (so called in Ogre (Texture + some other definitions)). The material Name has to be a different name as the material used in our distributed Mesh.

The reason is, that Ogre loads all Materials on startup, and if you have 2 materials with the same name -> it has a name mismatcht and quits with an exception.

here are some specs about art-items: http://iris2.de/index.php/Static_3D-Models

ps: i call it art-items, because they are taken form art.mul. static-items are no good, because they are also used as dynamic-items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:24 pm 
iris2-developer

ok granny/character-model override is committed and should work (i didn't test anim, you probably have to use the anim-names in from the .lst files) , you can get it if you use the updater and set it to "unstable"

usage is described here : http://www.iris2.de/index.php/CharacterModelOverride