Iris2.de

Iris2-Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bump map support
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:59 pm 

I was gonna pm ghoulsblade but i thought id share a link and post anyway...

was curious about bump map support in iris, i take it you can use normal maps and height maps?
but i wanted ask about ssbump maps mostly and if i could use them to?

and wanted to leave a link to this tool here:
http://ssbump-generator.yolasite.com/

Post subject: Re: Bump map support
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:53 pm 
iris2-developer

as i know the terms, normalmap is a bumpmap. maybe you mean parallax maps ?
Ogre can handle shaders including normalmapping, but it's not used in iris yet as there are no normalmaps for any of the available models.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 am 

well with that tool i can make normals rather quickly but im still curious about ssbump maps with ambient occlusion, cause if was gonna be making retextures and static models id like to make use of good detail for the models.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:40 pm 
iris2-developer

I think the term "Self-Shadowed Bump Maps" refers to something valve-source-engine specific rather than a standard technique like normalmaps.
If there's a shader available that implement the technique, it can be used in iris.
I don't know my way around shader libs out there, and ogre only comes with an example shader for normal-maps.
Shaders can be loaded by ogre material scripts without recompile usually.
Old models might need updating to generate "binormal" vertex data, but i think there's a commandline tool for ogre meshes that does that.
Be sure to keep source-files (blender/max/maja) for any new models you make please, generating such data from the original model will produce better results than generating them from an exported file missing the info.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:58 pm 

~I need to read around more and shush....
http://iris2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1443&start=0
http://iris2.de/index.php/Parallax_mapping

oh and heres that csm topic if your interested *shrugs*
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42706&start=0&sid=c1bac67b5fc3c07b5f15159676004942
cool :p i went and took a look around ogre and through iris stuffs, i noticed theres a couple files right on top in the data/models/textures
rockwall.tga and rockwall_NH.tga ....didnt notice them before XD ...so oblivious...idk if those were new or something lol
also looked threw the models/programs just to see what stuff was there.
over at ogre i found cone step mapping which was posted back in mid 2008 or so by nullsquared, was gonna look into that but for now
where can i change the base textures and stuff to add bumps? do i have to rebuild the texture atlas somehow?

+ anyway yeah theres ogre update stuffs ...pretty sure there somewhere on my laptop XD and i always keep like 7-10 versions of a file lol so no worries there.

thanks for letting me bother y'all so much. :p ima get back to tinkering around randomly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 am 
iris2-developer

Getting the normalmaps ingame is a bit tricky due to the atlas stuff.
Maybe i can adjust it to make it easier once you've made a few maps for testing.

For a start i'd suggest downloading the ogre demos
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ogre/f ... i/download
there should be a normalmap demo there if i remember correctly.
Can't check right now due to lack of windows.
If that doesn't work for some reason, don't bother too much, we'll find another way.

If you can make me a bunch of normalmaps for testing, i'll try to find a way to make ingame testing easier in the next few days =)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:30 pm 

cool thanks man :D and ive had ogre on my computer since 1.2 or so lol :p never used it for any huge project though...anyway yeah im at 1.7.2...theres quite a few different styles of bump mapping in there so ill mess with it. one of which is cube mapping XD

so i guess ill just batch out normals for all the textures in data/models/textures/*
maybe make them in two versions (hard and soft light) so you can pick lol :p
aside from that about re-texturing walls; should i just have a go at w/e i feel looks to sketch?
got a modest texture collection on here so ill throw those in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:39 pm 
iris2-developer

I'd not recommend "modelling" walls manually, since they're ideal for automated model creation at some point.
Textures&Normalmaps are what's needed for those.

Sorry, but we've had a far too many people start on character-models and wall-"models" (textures are fine here, but please no models) before and then disappear after a while,
that's exactly what models we DONT need. Please try to do some of the needed stuff first =)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:35 pm 

of course, i was referring to the textures/bumps only not models ;) thats why i mentioned them, the wiki says models are fine but textures needed and dont worry im takin it easy. but just for reference sake does the iris box orientation model supplied in wiki represent the size of a wall or player? just for texture reasons im gonna have a house scene as a work space just to see what it will look like. ive got the flooring done just wanna make sure what the walls are....like the height of 3... 2 tiles i guess? *shrugs*

~i made dds versions of all the textures in iris to make normals from them, would it be easier just to make normals from the atlas files?

Attachments:
File comment: rights sizes?
ss1.JPG
ss1.JPG [ 45.05 KiB | Viewed 115879 times ]

Last edited by Developer Landry on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:13 am 

wasnt sure if i should upload them yet till i get an ok,
i made normal maps for everything found in "data/models/textures/*" and "data/models/atlas/*" just in case *shrugs*
im sure theres a few things like the blood for example that look horrible or some that dont need normals cause i just automated them all through photoshop for quickness to get them in iris, eventually can go through and refine where needed i guess.
so if you want them i can upload "textures_nh.rar" and "atlas_nh.rar" all the files are still named "tex_#" and are in .dds dxt5 format.

~woops ment to make new topic XD ....oh well this is fine i guess so i dont spam your boards up.

p.s. just curious how can i become a wiki editor? (just to update artist section with stuff i found useful and learned?) *shrugs* just in case anyone might decide to stop by again and contribute would make the process alil quicker than ive been doing XD

Attachments:
File comment: normal atlas example
tex_atlas_med1.JPG
tex_atlas_med1.JPG [ 150.22 KiB | Viewed 115884 times ]
File comment: normal texture example
tex_8.JPG
tex_8.JPG [ 110.11 KiB | Viewed 115884 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:08 pm 
iris2-developer

unit box size : not sure, sience made that.
one wall segment usually has the height of a house-floor (as in 1st floor has 1 segment, 2nd floor has the next wall segment etc), with the player being slightly smaller.
should be 1x1x10 if i remember correctly.

bumpmaps: thanks, i'll see what i can do to get them ingame in the next few days =) won't get to it today though.

wiki : i temporarily allowed account creation, there's a link at the right-top now. Please tell me once you've made an account so i can disable it again to prevent spammers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:53 pm 

Wiki: done.

and no hurry just lemme know if/when you need em.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:01 am 

Do we have the files now?