Iris2.de

Iris2-Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Static models.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:06 am 
Power User

My first model is a mushroom. The second mushroom will be a copy scaled. The model have 16 faces.
bump map applied withgimp(render with opengl of wings3d): Imagebump map applied with povray: Image

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:30 am 
iris2-developer

Hey,

very nice i think.
Soon we will have an Upload repository where you can select an license you choose.

If you send me or Ghouly the exported Model as Ogre.mesh + material & texture i can add it to Iris2 and post a screenshot.

Please also write the static ID.

greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:33 am 
iris2-developer

nice =)

a few suggestions : you can make it look rounder and maybe even further reduce the polycount if you play with transparent textures a bit, for example if the hat of the mushroom was made of only five triangles and you applied this a texture like this one here, Image you it would look round and have less polys.
if you only used 3 triangles for a cone shaped stem pointing into the ground, you would have a mushroom in 8 triangles (not faces).
it would also help if you embedded the texture for the stem inside the texture for the hat, and do the differentiation via texturecoordinates,
this is called skinning, and the texture would be one skin.

this way it would also be possible to create different types of mushrooms by only using different textures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:57 pm 
Power User

I made the suggested change on texture. Look:

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:46 pm 
iris2-developer

wow, now it looks really cool, good work ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:56 pm 
Power User

Mushroom in iris2.
The original static mushroom have two mushrooms. But i believe that one is a good way. Two mushroom may down fps. What you think?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:17 pm 
Power User

Oops! The model that i made already exist. The static is divided in two parts. Look:Image

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:56 pm 
iris2-developer

cool =)
two mushrooms should be ok, it's low poly enough, so don't worry

the old "model" seems to be just a placeholder with a 2d image of the original mushroom art, i like your model much better, good work !

we aren't quite sure how we will handle licensing of contributions like yours to our project yet, we'll probably create an upload page where contact email, author-name and license can be stored together with the actual data, but for now, if you want your model to be included, just email me the files.

about licensing, would it be ok that your model is not just available for iris, but rather publicly available under the creative commons license by-nc-sa ?
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

Quote:
This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms. Others can download and redistribute your work just like the by-nc-nd license, but they can also translate, make remixes, and produce new stories based on your work. All new work based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also be non-commercial in nature.

other creative common licenses are listed here :
http://creativecommons.org/about/licens ... e-licenses