Iris2.de

Iris2-Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:34 am 
iris2-developer

but if the linux driver can't handle the 3d interface of the wii (just because they encrypted the communication like on ps3), than it's useless to try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:01 pm 

There are alternate ways that it could be coded without linux. The Wii linux is not all the way complete there are still aspects of it that are not properly coded to work. They are trying to code linux drivers at a lower level then the Devkitpro uses directly accessing the hardware like it should.

Last edited by Link_of_Hyrule on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:49 am 

why don't you just use the wiimote and nunchuck on your pc? you'd just have to implement support for that input device in ogre (if no one did that yet) and handle all the user actions.
sounds far easier to me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:48 pm 

Arahil wrote:
why don't you just use the wiimote and nunchuck on your pc? you'd just have to implement support for that input device in ogre (if no one did that yet) and handle all the user actions.
sounds far easier to me...

Yeah totally... and if one has only a wii and no pc? --> PHAIL! :P
Btw you could already do that, there are wiimote mouse drivers already.
A friend showed me that they work quite well!

Link_of_Hyrule wrote:
well there are other ways to do it with out linux the wii linux is not all the way complete there are still things not done on it also things not avaliable in linux are outside of it because the linux uses more low level communication then the other ways people use so that is why it doesn't work quite yet.

Man you are living in the US? You are a native speaker?
Are you... retarded? (no offense!) Do you have dyslexia?
Could you please try to write proper English?
I have serious problems to understand your sentence. :(
"With out" - you mean "without"? Why don't you use punctuation marks properly?

Do you mean Linux uses it's own drivers while other homebrews use the Wii API?
Is there something like a Wii API for homebrew?

In the world of thinking we are all immigrants. (Robert Nozick)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:43 pm 

Devkitpro has its own libraries and sources that work differently then linux. I'm not really completely sure how it all works but I know that linux doesn't get all the support that devkitpro does.

You might consider controlling your flames dekar its an easy way to get banned especially considering I've been here longer and you only have 3 posts. The fact that you join the forums just to flame me doesn't give a good first impression of you to this community. Yes I have some learning disabilities sometimes it takes me a couple edits to my posts to make sure all the sentences and punctuation are correct but I do the best I can.

Last edited by Link_of_Hyrule on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:01 pm 

I really had problems to understand your post!
So please make proper sentences and punctuation in future.
It probably was too much flame, but I was annoyed reading your post several times trying to guess what you wanted to tell us. :(
Since I am German I even asked an American guy I know, but he couldn't help me, instead he wrote the following:

Quote:
(23:21:40) xxx: Umm...
(23:21:46) xxx: Whoever said that, needs to be shot.
(23:21:50) xxx: Because he is retarded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:16 pm 

I am sorry that you couldn't understand it I reworded it so it can be understood better. Anyways back on topic. I don't think that its the actual ogre engine but just something he is experimenting with on the wii but Tinte sent me this message.

Tinte wrote:
Hi!
during sunday night i have fixed texture and mesh loading in my little engine. now it working fine. I plan to add vertex color support and second texture coordinates set (for lightmaps), and also some kind of lights management.

Info from Wiibrew Wiki on devkitpro

Quote:
devkitPPC
This is a port of the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) and includes a C (gcc) and C++ compiler (g++), a debugger (gdb) and associated utilities, with the architecture "powerpc-gekko". It also includes standard C libraries based on newlib, which is specifically designed for embedded systems. Compilers and libraries are also included for the MN10200, the Matsushita (Panasonic) chip used in the Wii DVD controller.

For Windows users it comes with the MSYS environment, which is a minimal set of unix-like tools such as a shell.

libogc
libogc is a collection of libraries for the GameCube and Wii. It includes the following low-level wii/gamecube specific sub-systems:

ARAM
AUDIO
EXI - Support routines for the system bus which connects many internal devices to the CPU
IRQ - Hardware Interrupts
DSP
DVD
GX
VIDEO
Cache
Memory Card
Console
Threads
Semaphores
Condition Variables
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/DevkitPro

Last edited by Link_of_Hyrule on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:37 pm 

Is that in any way related?
A Wii engine or PC?
Is there any way to get 3d hardware acceleration?
The only thing I found was some sprite engine with semi 2d acceleration.
All the Wii 3d engines are CPU only, and Iris is too demanding for being CPU emulated!
If you don't find a way to utilize the GPU you can forget porting ogre. -.-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:44 am 

Tinte was talking about on the Wii also as far as I know you can utilize the graphics card using gx commands in the code.

EDIT: I asked on the irc channel for wiibrew and they said that it is possbile and that the quake port uses it the most so far. The Wii uses a custom subset of openGL called GLX according to jbc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:59 pm 

So, for now i wrote a little 'engine', which can load meshes and textures and handle basic lighting. There is some things left that i want to investigate on platform, and maybe make a small homebrew game. it will take time cause i' kinda busy on work and study...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:21 pm 

Sounds good I look forward to seeing what you have done be sure to post on wiibrew I'm sure that there are some developers there that can be helpful to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:26 am 

Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to put this link in this thread its a GlovePie Script I made that lets you use a Wiimote connected to your pc via a bluetooth adapter as a controller for iris I think it works pretty good but I still think iris would be awesome on the Wii its self :D

http://www.wiili.org/forum/iris2-3d-uo- ... html#20394

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:51 am 
iris2-developer

ah this script is nice :-).

i think i add this to our wiki with your permission?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:39 pm 

Yeh you sure can i was considering adding it to the wiki my self but i didn't know if you would want it or not. On a different note Tinte is posting a lot of news and stuff in the thread on Wiibrew about his work on ogre so if your interested in it you can read it here.

http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?19,333,page=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:46 am 

Just my two cents here, but experienced the way i am with Wii programming, you wouldnt get too far with this thing running on the Linux port. Try to get a exclusive port and take TOTAL advantage of the gekko 750 and the GX with TEV stages. The Wii is an excellent hardware, but an application running on top of Ogre, Lua and other stuff, with a lower kernel sitting on top of its hardware can't do that much. I just hope im very wrong, by the way thats just my 2 cents.